Girls or Hen Party Weekend in Daylesford
Daylesford is Victoria’s spa country. An area rich in mineral springs, fantastic restaurants and abundant natural beauty. The town itself has an eclectic mix of cafes, boutiques, galleries and craft shops.
Daylesford is the perfect location for a hen party weekend away. Just one and a half hours from Melbourne it’s close enough to pop in and out of, but far enough away to feel like you’ve had a proper break away with your friends. The town is small and easy to navigate. There are plenty of places to eat, drink and shop as well as nearby wineries and mineral spas if you want to get out of town.
It’s no secret that Hen parties are a staple of Australia’s party scene. A Hen party is a weekend where the bride-to-be and her closest friends go out and have a good time together to celebrate the upcoming wedding. It emerges as one of the most significant social events of the bride’s life, and many people like to go all out to make it memorable!
Looking for a weekend centred around food, wine or activities? You’re in luck!
Daylesford is the perfect destination for a girls’ getaway or a hen party. Hens will love its world-class restaurants and boutiques, and you will appreciate the natural beauty of Hepburn Springs. The town has long been known as a spa retreat, and that’s never going to change: The mineral water here will keep you looking vibrant, and there are plenty of activities like yoga and hiking to keep your mind clear.
A group of hens will have no trouble finding things to do in Daylesford. Pick one of the many luxurious homes or cottages for your stay, or choose one of the hotels; you’ll be able to dine at some of the best restaurants in town, see a show at the Palais Theatre, wine tastings at Passing Clouds Winery and visit The Daylesford Cider Company‘s cidery.
First things first: accommodation in Daylesford.
Daylesford has some of the most luxurious hotels and beautiful private homes in all of Victoria, so we want to make sure you choose the right place for you and your friends. To help with that choice, here are some top recommendations:
– The Hotel Bellinzona offers luxury accommodation in a boutique hotel setting. It even has a stunning pool and several restaurants. So if you want to feel extra fancy for your hen weekend, this is the spot for you.
– Hotel Frangos is a beautiful, 4-star hotel in Daylesford, and it has a long history of accommodating guests for this type of weekend away. It’s located within walking distance from all the shops and restaurants you’ll want to visit during your stay. With 15 individually designed suites, you can select the suite that serves your personality.
– Peppers Mineral Springs offers a full hotel experience with onsite restaurant, bar and spa. There are plenty of hotel room type hotel accommodation to choose from, or book the Villa Parma, the 1864 Tuscan Style and heritage listed villa that sleeps a group of 8.
– If you’re looking for a little more space and privacy, check out one of the hundred of private homes in the area. Four different local management companies manage some of the most beautiful country homes in Daylesford and Hepburn Springs. Find that special place with a fireplace, fantastic view or splendid architecture. Our “Accommodation” page has a full overview for you.
Here are some other suggestions for fun activities for groups in Daylesford:
- Restaurants and bars – The area is home to some of the best restaurants in the state, and most are super happy to host a group. Think a fancy dinner at the Surly Goat, a country pub meal at The Farmers Arms or cocktails at Hotel Frangos. It gets pretty busy around here, especially on weekends so make sure you book well in advance – especially for a group.
- Spa treatments – Daylesford and Hepburn Springs is a spa town that has plenty of places to get massages, facials and other treatments. Check out the Hepburn Bathhouse & Spa for a good range of services.
- Shopping – There are lots of nice boutiques and homewares shops for some retail therapy. We recommend the shops on Vincent Street, The Amazing Mills Markets and the cute Daylesford Sunday Markets. .
- Hiking – If you feel like stretching your legs, there is a beautiful hike from Trentham Falls to Blackwood that should take about three hours or simply just a stroll around Lake Daylesford takes about half an hour (2.5km).
- Vineyards – There are plenty of vineyards in the Daylesford and Hepburn Springs area, perfect for an afternoon during the hen party. The crew at Daylesford Wine Tours have put a special tour together for hen parties, so you can enjoy the best the area has on offer.
How to get to Daylesford?
Daylesford is roughly a 90-minute drive northwest of Melbourne. Alternatively you can catch the V/Line Ballarat via Bacchus Marsh service from Southern Cross Station to Ballarat and then take a cab ride to your final Daylesford. Or the V/Line Bendigo from Southern Cross Station to Woodend and take the V/Line bus from Woodend Station to Daylesford – takes about 45 minutes on the bus.
Avoid peak hour traffic both in Melbourne and in Daylesford as this small town gets pretty busy with tourists on weekends.. If you do drive, check Google which way will provide less traffic – The Calder Highway via Woodend will give you a very scenic journey past vineyards, gold mines and farmland.